Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Hanukah and Miracles

I spent 2 years in Israel when I was 10 and 11, and I learned to love the country and customs of the Jewish people.  I first heard the term "Christmas Tree Jew" on the movie "What to Expect When You're Expecting", and I think if it's a real term, (it may not be at all...) then I might be a little bit of a "Menorah Christian."  I don't remember all of the holidays I celebrated from when I lived there, but I do remember Passover (Pesach), Purim, and Hanukah, and I have taught my children about them.  We have spent time talking about their significance to me, and I own a menorah which we have lit some years, (I am hoping to light it tomorrow, or possibly on the last day of Hanukah, but I may not light it all the other days of Hanukah) and I have some Hanukah decorations that I put up with my Christmas stuff.  I keep a few Hanukah books with my Christmas books.

I was thinking a lot about Hanukah today (first day began at sunset tonight), and two major thoughts went through my head.  1. I BELIEVE IN MIRACLES.  The condensed version of the history of Hanukah is that the Jewish temple and much of its oil had been defiled by the soldiers of Antiochus (I had to look up the ruler's name, I didn't remember that detail.)  As a people, the Jews have many special customs, ceremonies, and rituals, which have a very deep meaning.  Lots of preparation goes into their customs and rituals.  Not just any oil can be burned in the temple, it has to have been prepared.  So once the soldiers had been driven out of the temple, they found that almost all the oil was gone or defiled, and there was only enough to burn for one day, but it burned for 8 days, giving them enough time to prepare more oil to be burned in the temple.

Do I believe this story?  Wholeheartedly.  I am a Christian and a Mormon, but most Mormons have to believe in miracles to believe the history of our church.  Jesus himself was raised Jewish, and performed miracles, so most Christians believe in miracles, and should definitely respect Jewish customs, as Judaism is a parent to Christianity.  I absolutely believe that this miracle happened, that the oil lasted, and that it is a miracle worth celebrating.

The second major thought is: MANY TIMES, MIRACLES FOLLOW GREAT HARDSHIPS.
I can't really imagine what it would feel like (and I hope I never have to) to have soldiers from another nation come in and begin to seize control over things within my own country.  Not only governmental positions and places that are considered public, but also places that are treasured and sacred, to go in without restraint and destroy and steal and defile.  I am sure the people felt afraid and violated, doubt and frustration.  It is a miracle that they found oil at all and another miracle that it lasted for 8 days, and that it was able to give them hope and faith.  I am not sure I can imagine after all that devastation, the feelings of excitement and wonder at this oil lasting and lasting as they worked to purify and prepare new oil (which takes days.)

As I thought about this, I drew a parallel to my own life.  I've often drawn it to Jesus walking on water or feeding the 5,000 + with only a small amount of fish and bread (seems impossible, right?) but it absolutely applies to Hanukah as well.  This is the first year that I had these epiphanies, and I needed them.

Needless to say, there have been many moments filled with sadness lately.  However, when we are doing our best through trials and challenges, when we have faith and we go through our messy lives and come out lucky enough to find good, pure things, we should use those good things and trust that our Heavenly Father will make them more.  He will take what we can give and he will make it stretch and grow, even into the realms of the impossible.  He can't do that if we aren't willing to first search for it, and also if we aren't willing to put whatever we find to use, even if it doesn't seem like it will be enough.  And we have to keep working hard while the miracle is taking place.

This has been a part of my life for a very long time, but since August, I feel this SO OFTEN.  After the death of our baby, I just sometimes don't want to do anything.  There have been days that I just want to hide.  They are not all like that, I have plenty of good days where I can carry on as "normal" without extra effort.  Sometimes, though, I love being with my family, but it hurts.  I love seeing my friends, and I love serving others and doing good things, but sometimes I just want to not be around anyone.  It's easier, less questions, less memories, less noticing that Gideon is missing.  I know that being busy is good, and I know that doing good things makes me happy, so I take whatever good motivation I can find, which varies from day to day, and I put it out there for the Lord to make more.  And he turns my tiny offering into something that lasts and lasts, far beyond what should be possible. 

I feel like this is me every day.  I am that vessel of oil which keeps burning for 8 days, even though there is no possible way it could.  I search and find a small bit of strength, and I put it out there, and He magnifies it into a strength I never could have managed alone.  I find hope and joy in seeing this often in my life, and I celebrate that miracle. 

So to anyone who believes in God:  Happy Hanukah!  Jews & Christians alike can relate to miracles.  They are a real thing, I have lived it over and over! 

1 comment: