Sunday, September 16, 2018

No, that boat was never sinking

I learn so much about faith and scriptures and Jesus from teaching children.  Mostly my own, but sometimes other people's children too.  Since this is about my learning journey, not just from grief, but from life, here's a recent moment I had.

A few weeks ago, I had a profound moment of spiritual learning when my 3 year old daughter was looking at the picture of Jesus calming the storm.  If you aren't familiar with that story, it's in the Bible in Mark chapter 4 (which I'll admit, I'm not enough of a scriptorian to know that off the top of my head, I had to look up where to find it.)  My daughter asked me a very simple question "Is the boat sinking?"  And I thought about it for a minute, because the frankness of her question surprised me.  I've never really asked myself "Is the boat sinking?" before.  Hearing the story in hindsight, of course I know that the boat didn't sink, that the Savior calmed the storm, and that everything turned out fine.  However, something in the way she asked the question made me think about it more in present tense--like if I was on the boat, would I think the boat was sinking?  Again, with hindsight, I understand who the Savior is, and that the boat was never in true danger, because the Savior was on the boat.  So it was easy for me to say "No.  That boat isn't sinking.  It's in a big storm, and the people on the boat are afraid it's going to sink, but Jesus is on that boat, so they're safe. And Jesus told the storm to stop, so it did."
 
After I explained it to her, I continued to think about how it must have felt to been on that boat and to wonder "Is the boat sinking?" That conclusion was easy for the Savior's followers to make in the very moments when they were on the boat and the waves were getting higher, and the storm was steadily worsening, and the boat was probably getting harder and harder to steer.  They hadn't seen all His miracles, they didn't understand that He'd conquer death by being resurrected, they didn't understand all the things He had tried to tell them about who He was.  So they truly feared for their lives, lacking the understanding that when the Savior is on the boat with us, we're in no real danger.  

And then I thought about me.  About the figurative boats I've been on, and when it's felt like I'm going to die, like that ship is going down and it's all going to be over for me shortly.  I might look like I have it all together, but anyone who knows what happens on the inside of me knows that I struggle, that I still get dreadfully overwhelmed, and that I have hopeless, intensely frustrated, doubting moments.  There have definitely been times in my life that I thought my figurative ship was going down.  Many of those moments happen when I have forgotten who the Savior really is, and what he's capable of.  And some of those moments were moments when I was probably in the wrong boat, not the one that the Savior is in--and those ships CAN go down.  But as long as I'm in the boat with the Savior, that boat is never sinking. 

So...in a nutshell, her question gave me the inspiration to pause and ask myself whether or not I'm in the boat with the Savior, and what do I need to do to make sure I'm in the right boat, and then what do I need to do to remember who He is and how His ship doesn't ever sink.  

No comments:

Post a Comment