Friday, February 15, 2019

By their fruits

Of course, I really detest all crime, but one of the criminal behaviors that does not make a lot of sense to me is vandalism.  Why in the world would anyone destroy something that someone else created...just for the love of destruction?  I know that sometimes it may be "innocent" (as in when a toddler knocks down a block tower, or paints nail polish all over the place when trying to make things beautiful), but when an adult with full understanding and comprehension destroys something, I just don't understand the motivation at all.

I have started to look at the different news stories where I see senseless destruction and apply it in new and different ways, particularly as it applies to building up or tearing down other people.  It has gotten to the point where I don't understand the senseless destruction that I now see around me every single day.

"By their fruits, ye shall know them" is a phrase often quoted among Christians, and a phrase I have realized that I have taken for granted in my life.  (Matthew 7:20)  This scripture (and more importantly its message) is one that I wish were taken seriously by all of humanity, not just Christians.

Over the last few months, there have been two separate weeks when I have given up social media for a week.  Each week felt like a long time, because I really love connecting with old friends and family that I rarely see, even if it's just in small ways--a picture, a funny moment, a favorite recipe they tried or want to try.  I missed the funny videos and gifs; I enjoy a good distraction just like anyone does.  I did not miss the derogatory comments, the negative and "debbie downer" type posts, or the political battles that are so often present there.  Sometimes I think about giving it up completely, just to avoid the destruction that I see tossed out like confetti.
 
However, I truly love the miracle of the positive influence a person can have on another.  I have been on either side of this very miracle at many different times in my life.  I know that a good person in the right place, at the right time, with the right inspiration can literally be a life saver.  I love the opportunities social media gives me to reach out to those who may need it, and I love that I can ask for help or prayers and have hundreds of friends sending positive thoughts or prayers my way.  Conversely, people have the power to destroy.  And I see so much destruction when I go on social media.  I do see good too, and that's what I love, but I am becoming increasingly horrified at the amount of awful, unkind, and destructive things that people say to each other when they are on the internet.

I've shared this Indian proverb before, but it ties in with my thoughts, so I'll share it again.
One evening, an elderly Cherokee brave told his grandson about a battle that goes on inside people.  “My dear one, the battle between two ‘wolves’ is inside us all. One is evil. It is anger, envy, jealousy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority and ego.  The other is good. It is: joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion and faith.”  The grandson thought about it for a moment and then asked his grandfather: “Which wolf wins?”  The old Cherokee replied, “The one you feed.”
You don't have to be a Christian to believe that good and evil influence everyone.  Because I am a Christian, it influences my writing, my behavior, and my actions, and I share my thoughts because I think others can benefit from them, whether or not you see eye to eye with me on Christianity or any other issues.  Several scriptures explain that Jesus Christ and our Heavenly Father are great creators (Isaiah 40:28, John 1:3, Hebrews 11:3), while Satan is a destroyer (Exodus 12:23.)  Jesus Christ represents truth, light and love (John 15:9-11, John 8:12), while Satan represents darkness, deception, and hate.  (Revelation 12:9, 2 Nephi 2:18). 

None of this is news to anyone, whether you are Christian or not--it's pretty basic summary of some basic beliefs of Christianity.  But here's a thing that so many people have forgotten: by their fruits ye shall know them.  Sometimes people start out thinking they are on the right path--for example, a person who is doing their best to go to church each Sunday and read their scriptures, and then spend so much time belittling others who don't see things the way they do or judging others for not being as good as they are, that their fruits become judgement, destruction, and hate--none of which truly embody what Christ represents.

Like the Pharisees that lived during the time of Christ, who professed to know, believe, and understand the scriptures in deeper and better ways than the "unlearned and unclean" people all around them, some Christians get a little high and mighty and distracted in their ways.  The Pharisees couldn't recognize the actual Savior when He was in front of them, because they were so busy nitpicking details and looking for proof that He was a blasphemer that they couldn't see His fruits: His miracles, His spirit, the way people feel when they truly listen to His words.  The pharisees destroyed good people, turned good people away from the desire to know and understand the scriptures because their fruits became criticism, excessive judgement, attention to the tiniest details without paying attention to the big things, and loftiness. 

I truly hope that people don't take away that I think all Christians are comparable to Pharisees: that is not my intent at all.  I know so many people (Christian and not) who truly do their best to share truth in kind and loving ways, to help others for good, to create happiness and a better world.  The POINT is that we need to be aware of what our fruits are. 

Whether you are Christian or not, whether you are Republican or Democrat, if you say things that are destructive and hateful, you are feeding the wrong wolf.  As a Christian, if you judge others, if you are pious and lofty and critical, then you truly are being more like a Pharisee than a humble follower of the Savior.  If you say things with the intent to educate, to help people think and understand, to build, to create, to help people to be happier, and to add light to the world, then you are feeding the right wolf. (And if you're a Christian, THOSE are the true fruits of those who follow the Savior.)

The idea behind this post is perhaps wasted, since most people who read my blog are already trying hard to feed the right wolf, to make the world better. But maybe it'll reach one or two people and make them think before they say something.  Maybe it'll save a life.  Maybe it'll get someone thinking.  Maybe...
 

No comments:

Post a Comment