Thursday, April 27, 2017

Family Lesson: Smart choices

I love children's literature.  There are so many wonderful things to be learned from reading: whether it's poetry, books, or magazines, or even the news, it broadens our minds.  I love reading, and though I rarely take the time to enjoy novels like I used to, I am teaching my children to love the library and to love reading and learning.

I also love short and easy lessons.  Family Home Evening is a program that was recommended by a prophet in my church many years ago.  (I don't know which prophet, or when, it was a ways back, and I don't keep track of EVERYTHING.)  It's a great idea, whether one is a member of the LDS faith or not, to just have a time to discuss things as a family, to share lessons or talk about subjects that are important.

This week, we talked about making wise choices, and about understanding the things we choose before we jump in and choose them.  We related it to choices about drugs, alcohol, failing in school, and many other reckless behaviors, but it could really be related to just about anything with regards to choosing wisely.  And our "text" was the poem "Smart" by Shel Silverstein.

Image result for Smart Shel Silverstein PDF
I pulled out all of the proper coinage, and we talked about why the father, who sees and understands the values of the choices his son is making might be disappointed with what his son decided to do with the gift that was given to him.  This led us to talk about "gifts" that we are given by our Heavenly Father, who wants us to use them wisely instead of throwing them away or trading them for something we might think will be better, but would really leave us with less.  We also talked about why the boy believed that he was making good choices: four IS indeed more than three, and if you don't understand the value of the choices you make, you might believe you're making a good choice, when really you aren't.  We also talked about choosing between a good thing (such as 2 quarters) and a better thing (such as 1 dollar).  We had a lovely short discussion, but one I hope all the children will remember as they make choices in their lives.  Truthfully, I hope it's one I'll remember as I continue to make choices in my own life.

No comments:

Post a Comment