Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Thankful for bees

This past Sunday, I happened to be walking past the primary room (where the children from ages 3-12 do their Sunday School and learn music) and I overheard a snippet of a lesson being taught.  The woman teaching it was encouraging the children to be grateful in all things (a command found in MANY places in the scriptures, such as 1 Thessalonians 5:18, Alma 7:23, and Psalm 147:7) and she asked them: "Are we thankful for bumblebees?"  The room erupted with varied responses, and I giggled as I walked past.  Many children obviously had a hard time being grateful for bees.  There is this HUGE thing that makes bees really hard to appreciate. They sting.... and it hurts...a lot.  As I walked past again a few minutes later, I could hear different children and teachers pointing out good things that bees do, such as pollinate many trees and plants, and make honey.  I think that they arrived at the conclusion that they could be grateful for bees, even though bees sometimes sting.

I have been thinking about this ALL week long.  Trials sting.  Death, loss, and sickness all sting.  Snowmobiling accidents cause a lot of pain.  These things are hard to be grateful for.  As I look back now, I can see how I am better because of these "stinging" experiences.  Life holds more joy, even while holding more pain.  I relish the time with my family now, more than ever before.  I am so grateful to be able to walk, dance, run, play, lift, and carry babies.  I'm so aware of the difference that one life can make.  These are the honey, the pollination that spreads good things everywhere, and make fruit possible.  I continue to reap the fruits of the lessons I learn from my trials.  They bless me each day, despite the sting.

In the moment of a sting, when it is fresh and throbbing, it's very difficult to be grateful for bees.  The pain supersedes the ability to see all the good that comes from something that would cause it.  As a little time passes, and the pain and swelling lessen, it might only occasionally throb, and then it heals completely.  No scars, no lasting effects, besides the honey and the pollination.  Then it is a little easier to appreciate the bees for the "big picture".

After an accident, an illness, or a loss, the pain is overwhelming.  Given some time, the pain still ebbs and flows, but it doesn't knock you down as much as before.  These types of things don't really heal completely, sometimes they leave behind residual scars or effects.  Our family has learned and adapted to the new normal, where "sad gets into our happy" and where life and family have a deeper meaning to us.  I realized, as I heard the discussion about bees that I am no longer in so much constant, overwhelming pain, that it has become easier to appreciate the good things that have come from it.  I am so glad to be at a point where the pain doesn't constantly supersede my ability to recognize the good influences that have come from the loss, sickness, and accidents I've experienced.  It is a little easier to glimpse the big picture, and appreciate the stings with the good things that have also happened.

So I am thankful for bees.  Happy Thanksgiving!!


No comments:

Post a Comment