Sunday, October 11, 2015

Blessings and trials

What an emotional week this has been!  I have tried hard with this blog to keep it real, to express both my grief and my joy, to share in the things I am learning about myself and my family, and to explore the growth that I see in myself and in my husband and children.  It seems like a week that should have been so full of happiness, but I surprisingly found it to be very bittersweet.

Let me explain a little about a baby blessing.  In my religion, when a baby is 1 to 2 months old, we gather to bless a baby (similar to a christening), to give the child a name, and a priesthood blessing.  Worthy males who hold the priesthood gather, the spokesperson (often the baby's father or grandfather) holds the baby and the others form a circle including him and the child.  Similarly to a prayer, the spokesperson addresses Heavenly Father, gives the child a name, and then give a blessing based on the feelings and impressions they receive.  I believe in the power of priesthood blessings, I have had them pronounced on my own head (in times of need, it is absolutely acceptable to ask for a blessing) and I have heard answers to prayers that I had not explained to anyone else.  I have been told things that have made it clear to me that The Lord has heard my prayers, my concerns and desires.

Today was Miriam's baby blessing day.  Our family gathered at our home afterward to have a celebration luncheon, and so this week has been a week of preparing.  It has been a good excuse and motivator for me to clean and organize more thoroughly than usual, but during all the organizing, sorting, and cleaning I have had a lot of time to think about all the "whoop and holler" that surrounds a special baby blessing.  I have told many people in the past that I have thought it a silly tradition to gather at the home of a new mother and father, who are most likely getting the least sleep of any in the bunch.  It is highly illogical (and I like logic a lot, but not so much that I have let it stop me from having 6 babies.)  However, I was so excited to share this day with our family.  I have been beyond excited....perhaps "elated" would be a better word.

I have experienced a whole different "no frills" version of a baby blessing, and this was far better.  Gideon's blessing came with no frills and no fuss.  We knew he probably wouldn't live long, and we wanted the chance to give him a blessing before he passed away.  He did not have a circle of priesthood holders, just his father and our dear Bishop who made a special trip to the hospital to support us and to be there for that moment.  His blessing was given to him in his incubator bed, and there was no family gathering afterward, just quiet crying from Scott and I.

So as I have cleaned my house this week, I have been so grateful for the chance to celebrate our baby with many of the people we love and cherish.  I have been happy to put in extra time, effort, and money into a gathering, despite a little tiredness.  But I have been reminded as I have cleaned the floor and washed walls and etc. of all the things that I didn't get to do to celebrate Gideon's life.  His funeral was our big family gathering after his birth....  I sat on my kitchen floor and cried this week.  I miss him.  I wish I knew more about him, I realize what a gift time is with our loved ones, and I felt robbed of time with him.  I wish I could have taken living pictures of him in a little white suit, instead of just pictures after his death.  It was a hard week of preparing, but it was also "cleansing" to get the chance to celebrate a life again.

My sweet and talented grandmother made this blessing dress, and I treasure it.  Even though she is 80+, she still creates beautiful things and shares them with her children and grandchildren and great grandchildren.  I'm so happy to have this beautiful creation of hers.  She had also made the tuxedo that we buried Gideon in.  She's so amazingly talented that after coming to see him in the NICU and being there for his blessing day, she created a tiny tux which fit him, and sent it to us in time for his funeral.  She put it together in less than a week.


I am so grateful for the chance I had to share my thoughts and feelings with my family.  I'll try to do a separate post later about what I said, but mainly I talked about precious things in my life, gifts that the Lord has blessed me with that I have sometimes taken for granted, and I talked about how my perspective has changed, causing me to realize how dear and special so many things are in my life.  Scott was also able to share his testimony of trusting in the Lord, knowing that God has a reason for what we are going through.  D&C 6:36 is our family's scripture to ponder this week "Look unto me in every thought; doubt not, fear not."  Scott's testimony declared the Lord's loving plan for each of us, which sometimes involves pain, struggles, and questions, but which also involves us learning and growing, shaped by him to become who he wants us to be.

Miriam has been (and will continue to be) a healing balm in our lives, and will be close to Gideon.  She was blessed to be in tune with the needs of those around her and to be able to comfort and help in ways that aren't always obvious.  It was a beautiful blessing, but it was so hard, remembering and wishing we'd have been able to have these moments with our Gideon too.  We have thought of him so much this week.

I don't know if it's normal for people to feel so much emotion with their "rainbow baby" but I certainly do.  I have treasured more moments than ever before, but felt such a sense of longing for moments with the one I sent home to heaven.  I feel confident in the Lord, though I still don't understand why our experiences have been chosen for us.  I feel very blessed by my family, even as I miss my son deeply.  I have shed many tears this week, many of them in gratitude for the chance to have these moments with my Miriam, and some of them in sadness for the moments I didn't get to have with my Gideon.

No comments:

Post a Comment